Hardwood floors in commercial buildings like restaurants, hotels, or offices give off a very sophisticated look. People often paint them as well to match with the desired color scheme. But what if you decide to change the color or bring back the original? This blog has detailed information on how to remove paint from wood floors that might come in handy.
Firstly, we need to figure out what type of paint is on your wood floor to choose the appropriate removal method.
Be sure of one thing, just the removal of paint from the wooden floor would not be enough. It is a lengthy process. Once you start, there is no going back. No matter what you decide to do with the floor, it will require proper cleaning and preparation.
Contemplating the type of paint on the wooden floor
There are three types of paints available
The method of removal depends on the paint type. Even if you know, just to be sure, dip a cotton ball in alcohol and gently rub the surface of the wooden floor. If the color comes off, then your paint is either latex or water-based.
How to remove water-based paint from wooden floors
The paint comprises a pigment, a binder with water as solvent or vehicle. It is a popular choice which dries quickly without giving off a strong odor.
Sanding off the paint
It is the simplest way of removal. You will need an electric sander and various grits of sandpaper along with it.
- With the help of an electric sander, start the sanding process. It is best to use sixty grit paper for maximum removal of the paint.
- Switch to eighty grit paper to make the floor smooth and uniform, alongside eliminating sanding marks left by sixty grit.
- For any hard-to-reach places like between the wood floors, use hand sandpaper to even the work.
- After getting through with the paint removal, finish the wood floors with either waxing, sealing, or repairing it—anything you want.
Use of soap water
One great quality of water-based paints is that they respond great to soapy water. Here’s what you can do
- Mix a dish wash soap in room temperature water.
- Using a cloth, wet the entire wood floor before paint removal.
- Let it sit for a few minutes; this will loosen the paint a bit and ease removal.
- Grab the rag and scrape off the paint gently.
- Now, use a dry cloth to remove excess paint or moisture left behind.
How to remove latex-based paint from wood floors
Latex paint is similar to water-based paints but might require more cleaning material for a thorough removal. Apart from the sanding method, denatured alcohol has proven useful for getting rid of paint on wooden floors.
Use of denatured alcohol
- Pour the denatured alcohol slowly on the painted floor with the rag.
- Adequately cover the floor so that it stays damp for a while. This will loosen the particles, helping in easy removal.
- With the help of a scrubbing brush, scrape the paint away from the wood floor.
- To finish up, use a dry rag to wipe off excess paint.
Removal of oil-based paint from wooden floors
Oil-based paints are durable and long-lasting. They consist of a pigment, resin, oil (natural), and a part of synthetic oil too with thinner. These kinds of paints are difficult but not impossible to get off. Here is one method of how it’s done
Paint removal solvent
- Cover the floor evenly with paint removal solvent.
- Leave it on the floor as mentioned on the bottle for best removal.
- Use a dry cloth to sway the excess paint gently.
Use of thinners
Another method available for an oil-based paint is thinner. It is a strong and harsh chemical that may badly affect the wood floor if removed incorrectly. Paint thinners must be set aside as the last option if none of the methods work.
- Soak the cloth in the thinner and cover the area you want to remove paint from.
- Re-dip the cloth and start scraping off the color gently from the floor. You will need to repeat the dipping process because thinners evaporate quickly.
- Once through with the removal, wipe off extra thinners if needed.
Removing paint from wood floors is not an easy task that can be accomplished single-handedly. It is best to get a team of experts to the job. Advanced Construction and Development are best at what they do. They provide a wide range of commercial services at affordable prices. Contact now at 936.521.2446